Chicago Filmmakers is located at 5243 N. Clark St. in Chicago's Andersonville neighborhood, one block north of Foster. We are accessible by CTA bus routes 22 Clark, 92 Foster, 50 Damen (at Ashland) and six blocks west of the Berwyn Red Line stop.
Send us an email.
Chicago Filmmakers is a 37 year-old media arts organization that fosters the creation, appreciation and understanding of film and video as media for artistic and personal expression, as well as media of important social and community impact. Our mission is to provide an opportunity for artists to make films outside the mainstream marketplace, to distribute and exhibit this work, as well as to build audiences and to increase media attention for it. Recognizing the impact of mass media in contemporary society, it is additionally our goal to provide culturally diverse audiences with alternative images to those reflected in mainstream media and to broaden access to media education to include those typically left out of the process.
In 1973 a group of experimental filmmakers formed an artist-run weekly screening series in response to the lack of an exhibition space to show their own work and the work of other new and emerging filmmakers. This Saturday night screening program, started under the auspices of N.A.M.E. Gallery, was called Filmgroup at N.A.M.E. In 1976, Filmgroup separated from the gallery and incorporated as Chicago Filmmakers. Filmgroup was retained as the informal name for the exhibition program until 1994, when it was renamed Kino-Eye Cinema. The exhibition program is now one of the longest-running showcases in the country for American and foreign independent film and video. Meanwhile, Chicago Filmmakers has evolved into more than a venue for screening films; it is now a diverse media arts center with programs in adult and youth education, equipment access and membership services, film distribution, and community outreach, as well as film and video exhibition
Brenda Webb – Executive Director
Josh B Mabe – Program Director
Alexandra Ensign - Reeling Film Festival Programming Director
Patrick Friel - Onion City Film Festival Director
Sharon Zurek - Dyke Delicious Series Programmer
Board of Directors
Dirk Matthews, President
Carol Schaffner, Treasurer
Click on the link above to see a list of current instructors.
The MacArthur Fund at the Richard H. Driehaus Foundation
The Gaylord and Dorothy Donnelley Foundation
The Illinois Arts Council
The National Endowment for the Arts
A City Arts 2 Grant from the City of Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and the Illinois Arts Council, a state agency
and people like you!
Hosting Provided by: BurntHost, LLC
Web Admin: Mark Hubert
Web Development Team:
Members of Chicago Filmmakers receive discounts on classes, screenings, and services at area businesses.
Chicago Filmmakers Membership Benefits
• Free entry to industry Networking Events: All members are welcome free to our bi-monthly meet-ups where filmmakers, actors, and others meet one another and hear accomplished filmmakers speak informally about their work and their experiences in the field.
• Access to Chicago Filmmakers Equipment Rental: Affordable rentals of HD, digital video and 16mm cameras and accessories, lighting kits, sound packages, and editing suites.
• Discounted Admission to Chicago Filmmakers Screenings: Independent films and videos are screened weekly as part of our program. Chicago Filmmakers showcases experimental films, animation, documentaries, local work, short films, and other films that you would be unlikely to see anywhere else in the city! Many screenings include the artists in person to discuss their work with the audience.
• Discounts on Chicago Filmmakers Classes: Chicago Filmmakers offers affordable classes and hands-on workshops in most aspects of film and digital video production and screenwriting. Classes are taught by working professionals and instructors who also teach at local universities and colleges.
• Printed Quarterly Chicago Filmmakers Program mailed to you first class!
• Admission Discount at Midwest Independent Film Festival (subject to day of show availability, see website for details)
• Special VIP access and FREE entry to film events in Chicago
• Discounts at Local Businesses including Global Video, Astro/Filmworkers Club, Media Process Group, and Free Membership at Experimental Sound Studio- facilities for recording, editing, mixing and mastering audio.
• Discounts on Subscriptions to Film Comment, Screen, MovieMaker Magazine, and American Cinematographer.
• Discounts on Kodak Film Stock
There are no current open paid positions at Chicago FIlmmakers.
Internship and volunteer opportunities:
MARKETING & PR INTERNSHIP
Chicago Filmmakers has an opening for a Marketing & PR Intern. The intern will assist the Program Director in developing audiences for Chicago Filmmakers weekly screening series through social networking, grassroots marketing, community outreach, organizational partnerships, and other promotional activities. Candidates should have a strong interest and education or experience in marketing and/or public relations and be enthusiastic about independent film. Experience with social networking, graphic design, and event promotions are also helpful. Strong verbal and written communication skills are required. Hours: 12 - 16 hours per week, length of internship flexible, any workdays Mon-Fri, 10am - 6pm.
FILMMAKER SERVICES INTERN
Chicago Filmmakers has an opening for a Filmmaker Services Intern. The intern will help to serve our filmmaker members and students through a variety of duties, including checking in/out equipment rentals, registering students for classes, helping to organize guest speakers and networking events, processing memberships and updating membership records, preparing the classrooms for instructors, researching and recommending equipment purchases, surveying members and tracking data, and other activities involving filmmaker services and educational programs. Candidates should have an educational background or experience in digital filmmaking. Hours: 12 - 16 hours per week, length of internship flexible, any workdays Mon-Fri, 10am - 6pm.
Qualified applicants, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com